Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Saving Endangered Species: 20 Time Project, Week 2

Last week we started our 20 Time projects. 20 Time is when a teacher gives about 20% of his or her class time for his or her students to pursue their own projects that interest them. My 20 Time project is on endangered species, specifically, which endangered species are extremely important to the ecosystem (keystone species), yet are not well known, and how can I raise awareness about these species?

To answer these questions, I want to build a website where I talk about various endangered species in order to raise awareness about them. I also want to design t-shirts for each species, which I can also use to raise awareness as well as raise funds to donate to organizations that help endangered species.

Every week, I want to research a new organism, create a page for it on my website, and create a new t-shirt design for it. I will measure my progress by how many webpages I create, how many people visit my website, and eventually how many people buy my t-shirts.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanna! I think this is a great idea, especially with all the conversation about climate change and environmental issues in the world lately. Also, I notice that you wear many nature-related shirts, so I bet this must be important to you. I think it will be important to decide how you will decide which endangered animals you will choose to create T-shirts for, since there are so many. Great idea though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie! Haha I didn't know people noticed stuff like what my shirts are all about. I was thinking to focus more on organisms that don't normally receive a lot of publicity like tigers and elephants do, but are also important to the environment, like bees and sea otters.

      Delete
  2. Is this local or global? Such a noble cause, and creative. Can you make the shirts funny or entertaining to increase interest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to keep this more local (or at least in or around the US) for now so I have a starting point, but I might branch out to other places later, since there are a lot of endangered species in the shrinking forests, reefs, and mountains around the world. Making the shirts funny is a great idea (I hadn't thought of it), but unfortunately I'm not very good at that kind of thing...maybe I could ask people for suggestions.

      Delete